Taco Tuesday was yesterday and since we have become reducetarians, I wanted to have taco bowls with no meat. I did have tofu in the fridge so I decided to give it a try! I have to tell you that these taco bowls were AMAZING!!! You need to try them and then let me know how much you love them!!
- brown rice (long or short grain)
- cilantro (for rice and garnish)
- extra firm tofu
- 1 portobello mushroom
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp adobo
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 tomato
- cheese (optional)
- tortilla chips (optional)
- 2 tbsp oil of choice (olive, safflower etc)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Cook rice as per directions. I did 1 cup dry rice to 2 cups liquid and I was feeding 3 people. when there is 5 minutes left on rice I added 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro to the rice and the juice of 1/2 a lime.
- Take your tofu, drain it and wrap it in paper towels for up to an hour. Then slice it into 1 inch cubes. Throw them in a bowl and add the spices to the bowl and the juice of 1/2 lime. Mix it all together. Chop portobello and add to the mix as well.
- Heat a pan on medium add oil of choice and minced garlic. Add in tofu/mushroom mixture and cook till it is browned.
- Once done it is ready to plate. Add rice in the bottom of your bowl, then your tofu/mushroom mixture, then spinach, tomato and any garnishes you want like avocado, cheese, salsa, tortilla chips etc.
You can add really any veggie or garnish to it that you like. I am a huge fan of avocado, salsa, cilantro, feta cheese and tortilla chips!